The world tell us that we need the newest technology, the newest fashion styles, "cool" friends, a boyfriend/girlfriend to fit into this world. To be comfortable, to be noticed. But do we really?
I have been blessed to become part of the family at St. Martin's Community Center in Marion,IN. These people who I have grown to love like my own family struggle with things that we don't even think about most of the time.
having a meal for the day. being warm at night. having the medicine to help their heart pain. having a full oxygen tank to provide a way for them to sleep without fearing to suffocate during the night. having to go home to a physically/mentally/sexually abusive home.
These are just a few of the things people at St. Martin's deal with. Half of the people walk to St. Martin's everyday to get a hot meal and some bread. Sunshine, rain, snow, whatever the weather they come. Its an eye-opening experience every time. I experience things that humble me each time I go, that make me cry when I get in my car, that make me realize how blessed I am.
I don't need new clothes every month, I don't need the coolest music, I don't need more makeup, I don't need anything because I already have more than any of the adults at St. Martin's. I spend my money on going to the movies, buying new cute clothes, coffee, whatever I want really, whatever makes me feel comfortable and like I will fit in more. But the more and more I go to St. Martin's and get to know these people better and become closer and closer to them I want less and less for me.
ITS NOT ABOUT ME.
Yes, this is a challenge to you. Do you really need all the clothes you buy? Do you need the newest technology to keep up with the world? Do you need that cup of coffee? Do you need to go see the same movie 3 times? Do you need to go to homecoming and prom? What can you give up to help someone else in need?
Jerry, Steve, Madeline, Connie, Nina, Pat, Ed, Tony, Bill, Doug, Carol, Sonny, George, Dwayne, Michael, Paul, these are just a few names of my family from St. Martin's. I love them more and more each time I get to see them and spend time with them. Don't look past people because of there looks, get to know them, get to know their hearts. We are so harsh on each other, but were called to love.
If your reading this I love you. Think about what you need. I guarantee you their are people in more need around you. Take time and listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment