Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weeks 3 and 4 - Choma, Zambia - "Its the simple things"

For the past two weeks the team and I have been in Choma, Zambia. It has been a stretching, rewarding, God-filled two weeks. I think its fair to say that we have been stretched over the past two weeks. We have had opportunities to complete skills that we have never before. I got to attempt to insert a catheter and draw blood!! I was able to assist in delivering a baby, I was blessed to sit and hold hands of patients suffering with illnesses, I got to be in the OR and see a 5 pound tumor removed. Through these two weeks we have seen a lot of suffering, but we have seen hope as well. The staff at Choma General Hospital are giving the people here hope. There is hope in the times when you can sit and hold a patient’s hand and pray over them. There is hope when you can crack a smile to a suffering patient and they smile back. There is hope when parent’s faces brighten up when they see someone who cares walking over to their child’s bed. God has taught us a lot this week in the nursing field. He is shaping each of us to become the nurse He wants us to be. During our time here in Choma we have had time to do various other things as well. We have walked to town and explored markets. When we walked to the market the other day we actually ended up dancing in the middle of the market with a group of Zambians, it was a moment I will cherish forever. I have tried fried dough from the market here in Choma. As a group we participated in the “Zambian Olympics” one Friday evening. One of my team member’s grew up in a town nearby here called Jembo. We were blessed to go there and explore. When were in Jembo we attended the chapel at the Bible College, we ate some GOOD mexican food, we ate lemons fresh off the tree, we walked to “prayer rock” - which was a beautiful view out across the bush. I may have chased a rooster as well in front of a group of Zambians. At one point I stood on a line of rocks, with hands raised and said loudly “I love Africa”, and then looked over to find a group of Zambian men laughing at the Mezungu girl standing on rocks with her arms raised, I can’t imagine how crazy they thought I was. These past two weeks have been so good. We have learned much and I have so many things that I could share with you but the main thing that I have learned these two weeks is that “its the simple things.” Life can be so complex, so hard, so overwhelming at times. “Its the simple things” that have been impacting me the most, the things that I am so thankful to have, they aren’t huge but they are important to me. I have started a list of the “the simple things” that are standing out to me. Here are a few from the list -- “Its the simple things” -- a cool breeze in the heat of the day, cold water to wash your feet with, having dirty, dusty feet after walking, a cold ice cream cone, a sunset, dancing in a market with a group of beautiful Zambian people. Life doesn’t need to get so complicated with the complex things. God is teaching me more and more each day how it is just the simple things. I love it. I know this blog may be rambling but its an update :)
“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in him.” - Lamentations 3:22-24
We are traveling back to Zimba today, where we will be for a week and then onto Macha for three weeks!!! Please continue to keep this team in your prayers!! Love and Miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment