The chapter is called Profile of the Obsessed, it has caused me to do a lot of self evaluating about how I am acting in my life and what I am following. The chapter talks about different characteristics that people can have whether pointed towards things or people of this world or towards our awesome God. I'm gonna give you a little summary from each section so you can get a little taste.
Lovers <3
If we only love the people who are nice to us or love us back, we aren't following what god has called us to.
Luke 6:35 says, " But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back."
We can't choose who we love, God didn't pick and choose between us. He loves us all than we can ever imagine. We are called to love the prostitutes, the broken, the sick, the poor, the molesters.
"True faith is loving a person after they have hurt you. True love makes you stand out." - Francis Chan
"People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back."
-Crazy Love
Risk Takers-
We often pray for safety when taking trips, but I want to start praying "God bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes.." Who knows what God can do when we start praying this and taking risks for Him. I want to be uncomfortable for Christ, especially if it means growing closer to Him and bringing others closer to Him.
"People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress."
-Crazy Love
Friends of All-
"People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him."
-Crazy Love
Crazy Ones-
For me I sometimes get to caught up in what other people think. Who am I kidding a lot of times, especially when God is calling me to do something crazy and out of the ordinary, but why? What else in this world is going to benefit me more than what God is calling me to? Thats right! NOTHING!!!!! I want to make crazy steps for Christ.
"Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don't always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth. As Martin Luther puts it, "There are two days on my calendar: this day and that day."
-Crazy Love
The Humble-
Oh how pride sneaks into our lives as we let it. We don't deserve any of the glory yet I know for me I find myself somehow getting the glory when I do not have any right to be receiving any type of glory. I don't want to split the glory half and half: some for me and some for God. No He needs to get it all.
"A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the sin of pride is always a battle. Obsessed people know that you can never be "humble enough" and so they seek to make themselves less known and Christ more known."- Crazy Love
Servers-
"People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people."- Crazy Love
Givers-
"People who are obsessed with God are known as givers, not takers. Obsessed people genuinely think that others matter as much as they do, and they are particularly aware of those who are poor around the world." - Crazy Love
Sojourners-
"A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what here in front of them."
-Crazy Love
The Engrossed-
I choose to put God first in my life, above all things and all people. With God first I know I can have a bigger impact.
"A person who is obsessed is characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being." - Crazy Love
Unguarded Ones-
Vulnerability. God already knows all, and yet I still try to hide things from Him. Seems pretty dumb doesn't it. I need to work on my vulnerability with God. I know I can be real with Him and He won't judge me, He will love me the same always forever.
"People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask their ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don't put it on for God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace."- Crazy Love
The Rooted-
Two questions that stuck with me: " How much money is spent on yourself, and how much is directed toward God's kingdom?" and "How much of your time is dedicated to pursuing your life and your goals, and how much is focused on God's work and purposes?"
"People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God's word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole wee, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages." - Crazy Love
The Dedicated-
" A person who is obsessed with Jesus is more concerned with his or her character than comfort. Obsessed people know that true joy doesn't depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God." - Crazy Love
Sacrificers-
"A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he can do is be faithful to his Savior in every aspect of his life., continually saying, "Thank You!!" to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He revels in his role a child and friend of God." - Crazy Love
WOOOO! I know that is a ton of information and I'm sure you can see why I have been thinking about this over the past couple of weeks!!
But seriously think about it, What if we lived our lives in an obsession with Christ, as person who is obsessed with Jesus!! What difference would that make in the world if we lived this way.
I am going to strive with all my might to live a life of a person who is obsessed with JESUS!! I know I will stumble and mess up, but if I can be a brighter light in this world for Christ I am going to go for it with everything that I have.
obsessed: To have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic.
I am obsessed with Jesus and I am going to try my best to live to show that I am obsessed with Christ.
God bless
No comments:
Post a Comment